Norwegian Cruise Line’s Premium Beverage Package (was formerly known as the Ultimate Beverage Package)
During this post, we will explore what is included in the “premium all-inclusive” drinks package by Norwegian Cruise Line.
Premium beverage package
The premium beverage package is often offered as part of promotions, you can also add it to any cruise.
The package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and Great Stirrup Cay.
I recently had the package when I took a Caribbean cruise on board the Norwegian Getaway. I really enjoyed having cocktails by the pool and prosecco with lunch. You can drink all day every day and still not need to try the same thing twice. Despite being the highest package available it isn’t ‘unlimited’.
The package can be used at Great Stirrup Cay but cannot be used at Harvest Caye or on sailings that are two days or less.
In addition to beer/wine/cider/cocktails/spirits, the UBP includes all fountain sodas and juices from the bars.
NCL’s Ultimate Beverage Package drinks package does include:
- Wine (by the glass)
- Bottled/Draft beer
- Fountain soda
** Up to $15 **
Do you have to pay the full price when buying drinks over $15?
No. If you want to buy a drink which is over the $15 limit you will pay the difference between $15 and the value of the drink. For example, if you buy a drink costing $18 you would pay $3.
NCL’s Ultimate Beverage Package drinks package does not include:
- Tea/Coffee from the atrium. This is by far the best tea/coffee on the ship, much better than what you’d find in the garden cafe but it isn’t included in the beverage package.
- Bottled water.
- If a drink comes with a promotional glass/cup you will not get the glass. It is possible to pay extra for it but when ordering the drink with the UBP they will assume that you do not want it.
- Room service.
- Drinks from vending machines
How old do you have to be to buy the premium beverage package on a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise?
- You must be 21 to buy the package. Bit annoying if you’re 18-21 from the UK and used to be able to drink.
Do all passengers in the cabin need to purchase the package?
- Yep. All people in the same cabin (over 21) must purchase the ultimate beverage package if one does.
Other things to note:
- You are allowed two beverages per person per transaction.
- You cannot buy the package on sailings which are than two days or less.
- If you order bottles of wine you’ll get 20% off. Not sure why you’d do this really though as you could just order a lot of glasses.
A note about purchasing the UBP as part of a promotion: Currently if you book the package as part of a promotion in the UK then you do not have to pay an extra 18% gratuity on the drinks package. However, if you book the package from the US you have to pay for the gratuities.
Norwegian sky: “Effective 4/22/15, guests booked on Norwegian Sky for 2016 sailings and beyond will receive: unlimited soda and juice, designated spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass, bottled and draft beer.” The same rules apply but it effectively is just a ‘free bar’ ship, there is also no $15 limit for drinks as all drinks are displayed on an ‘all inclusive’ menu with no prices.
How much does the Premium Beverage Package from Norwegian Cruise Line cost?
The price of the package varies and is able to change at any time. It currently is $99 dollars plus a 20% gratuity. There is no way that I could drink enough to make it worthwhile a day but for some people it would be.
The Premium Plus Beverage Package
Amazingly there is another level of drinks package above in the premium package. This includes the things mentioned above that aren’t included in the normal premium package (apart from bottles of wine).
Our Premium Plus Beverage Package includes the widest selection of beverages by the glass, such as Veuve Clicquot, Patrón Añejo, The Macallan Quest and more. Enjoy all beverages by the glass throughout your cruises including unlimited soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and select bottles of wine with dinner, plus, still and sparkling water, energy drinks, and speciality coffee!
This one currently costs $128 plus 20% gratuities.
Drinks I’d recommend:
- Mango meltdown slushy! This was served at the bars on the decks and was so so so yummy. It is refreshing and perfect for a sunny day. (I think I’d still drink it even if it was cold though!)
- Raspberry Mojitos – I definitely had too many of these…
- Angry Orchard cider. I’ve never had this brand before but it was a yummy apple cider. Can’t go wrong there. It sometimes came in a can and sometimes a bottle depending on where I got it from.
Full drinks list (Premium Beverage Package):
Beer and Cider:
Angry Orchard • Blue Moon • Bud – Light & Regular • Coors Light • Corona – Extra/Light • Dos Equis Lager • Goose Island IPA • Heineken/Light • Lagunitas Little Sumpin • Michelob Ultra • Modelo Especial • Molson • Newcastle Brown • Peroni • Pilsner Urquell • Red Stripe • Sam Adams • Strongbow • PLUS 4+ brands on draft
Gin and Vodka:
Beefeater London Dry • Bombay Sapphire • Tanqueray Special • Absolut • Absolut Citron • Belvedere • Kettle One • Krakus Polish vodka • Grey Goose • Russian Standard • SKYY • Smirnoff • Stolichnaya • Stolichnaya Vanil • Tito’s Handmade • Voli 305
Whisky, Brandy and other spirits:
Bulleit Kentucky Straight • Canadian Club • Chivas Regal 12 Years • Crown Royal • Dewar’s White Label • Fireball Cinnamon • Glenmorangie Original Single Malt • Jameson Irish • Jack Daniels Old No. 7 • Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey • Jim Beam Kentucky Straight • Johnnie Walker Black Label • Johnnie Walker Red Label • Monkey Shoulder Blended Malt • Seagram’s 7 Crown • Seagram’s VO • Hennessy VS • Harvey’s Bristol Cream • Hidalgo Reserva 12-Year Spanish Brandy • St Rémy VSOP French Brandy • Sandeman Founders Reserve Porto • Sandeman Tawny Porto • Tabernero Pisco Puro • Tío Pepe Spanish Sherry • Gekkeikan Sake • Momokawa Pearl Sake • 1800 Reposado • 1800 Silver • Cazadores Blanco • José Cuervo Gold • Los Corrales Silver • JAJA “HaHa” Blanco • Patrón Silver
Atlántico Platinum • Bacardi 8 • Bacardi Black • Bacardi Limón • Bacardi Oakheart • Bacardi Superior • Brugal Añejo • Captain Morgan Spiced • Captain Morgan White • Flor De Caña • Gosling’s Black Seal • Malibu Coconut • Mount Gay Eclipse • Myers’s Original Dark • Pusser’s • Zacapa Ámbar
• Aperol Apéritif • Averna • B&B • Bailey’s Irish Cream • Brogan’s Original Irish Cream • Bottega Limoncino • Chinola Passion Fruit Liqueur • Campari • Cedilla – Açai • Cointreau • Disaronno Amaretto • Drambuie • Dubonnet Rouge • Fernet-Branca • Frangelico • Grand Marnier • Jagermeister • Kahlúa • Licor 43 • Pernod • Pimm’s No. 1 • RumChata • Southern Comfort • Tuaca
We have loads of Norwegian Cruise Line content on our site so the journey doesn’t have to end here!
Fancy learning a little more about freestyle dining? NCL’S Freestyle Dining Explained.
First timer with NCL? I’ve got a post for that too! 8 things I wish I knew before my first NCL cruise.